[Public-list] Draft vs depth

Gail DeMoss gdemoss at alberg30.org
Thu Aug 31 16:46:59 PDT 2006

Soooo, what is the correct answer for the Documentation people for our
lovely little 30 foot fiberglass sailboat?

Gail
Calypso #543

Michael Grosh wrote:

>>Michael J. Meinhold / SAIC
>>

>>Gross Registet Tonnage caclulations are just
>>as Byzantine. These numbers are used to determine shipping fees and/or
>>ship structural requirements and therefore affect the operating costs
>>and capital cost of a ship.
>>

>Not to mention wheelhouse licenses are based on Gross Tonnage restrictions.
>Money is always the issue, isn't it?
>
>Moulded draft is always used to describe barges-it's what the barge can be
>loaded to before a deck fitting is under water.
>
>MichaelGrosh

 Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
 that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the
 bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the trade winds
 in your sails.  Explore. Dream.  Discover.
                                                      --Mark Twain