[Public-list] autopilot recommendations

JohnI a30blueteal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 18:23:44 PST 2006

I have a Raymarine ST1000, and a Simrad TP32. The ST1000 is ok when motoring
and under sail in light winds with good sail trim. The Simrad TP32 is
somewhat more powerful and handles a wider variety of wind conditions and
adverse sail trim. I singlehand a lot and use the TP32 to steer while I
hoist sales and reef, run below for something, etc. To relieve the monotony,
I amost always use one of the units while motoring. In fog I always use a
tillerpilot while motoring.

Note while these units meet my needs under the conditions mentioned, I never
feel like I can rely on either unit completely while under sail. When the
wind starts hitting the 20k mark, I prefer to heave to while reefing. Based
on my experience, I would go for the most powerful unit available.