[Public-list] Ballast location

Philip Sparr ptsparr at verizon.net
Fri Dec 8 16:46:22 PST 2006

David,

I own hull no. 172.  A couple of years ago I was thinking of converting the space under the salon floor to an extra water tank.  The lockers under my floor are used to hold the batteries, I noticed that the bottom of these compartments sounded hollow when I knocked on them, so I drilled a hole in the bottom with a hole saw to see if there was any extra space to be gained.  There is some space under the bottoms, but not a whole lot.  From what I've seen in the sail plan drawing and from the hole I drilled, it seems that the ballast is in the forward part of the keel, and slopes back to the very bottom of the keel after a few feet.  I think the glassed in bottoms are to give a flat surface to set the batteries on, and also to raise them a bit so that they won't be flooded if your bilge fills a little.  It doesn't take much water to bring the water level up to the floor boards.  I had removed the cockpit drains while doing some repair work,  after a rain storm I went to pump
 the bilge out and found that the water level with the floor.  I'm not sure what a garboard drain is, but the space under my salon is divided by small transverse bulheads into three for four compartments, with a small drain at the bottom allowing them all to drain in series to the bilge.  The most forward compartment is in front of the head, and I think the sloped bottom of this compartment is the top of the encapsulated ballast. I hope this helps.

Philip