[Public-list] methyl hydrate?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Dec 22 17:14:50 PST 2006

Cheap vodka won't work, but EverClear would.  You need alcohol that's
pretty much water-free.

Searching for 'msds (stove denatured marine) alcohol' on Google turns up
some references:

http://www.starbronze.com/pdfs/763.pdf is 42% ethanol and 51% methanol.

http://zenstoves.net/MSDS/CrownDenaturedAlcohol.pdf is 65-75% methanol
and 20-30% ethanol.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/MSDS/Recochem/rec_denatured_alcohol.pdf
says 100% denatured ethanol.

http://www.newparks.com/PDF/MSDS/SOLVENTS/DenaturedAlcohol.pdf says 10%
methanol and apparently mostly ethanol.

Brian Hofler wrote:
> Sorry David I do not know...Is there a chemist in the house?

>>> the

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash