[Public-list] minor hull and deck repair

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Dec 28 16:06:20 PST 2006

John Malthouse wrote:
> I plan on repairing minor gealcoat cracks mostly near the toe rail and a
> couple of deaper scratches/gouges in the side. Would rather repair gealcoat,
> small area than re-paint complete with Algrip. I also would like to repair
> some cosmetic and stress cracks on the deck and cock pit.
> What I am looking for is some good reading material on these processes.
> I got some practice with the West System last summer with my smaller boat
> hull repair and did my own paint job (pretty good) but not sure if this is
> the route to take with my A30? I would like to stay with gealcoat (still
> original), does this make sense?  I have not found much reading on minor
> deck repair and painting. To be pointed in the right direction would be
> helpfull,thanks.

I find it difficult to get really small areas of polyester to stick.
The sander wants to pull them out.  One thing that helps is to paint
over the resin with PVA (Poly Vinyl Alcohol, also used as a mold release
compound) or some other substance to seal it from the air.  This allows
it to cure all the way to the surface.

I second the recommendation for This Old Boat
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071579931/alberg30-20)

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.