[Public-list] headsail size

Matthew Hay haymatthew_ at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 18 07:03:20 PST 2006

Thank you Peter and Mike for the reply to my question about changing sails
over to the 1100 series furller.  I think that I would like to purchase a
used sail that is furler ready rather then spending money on my old sails
that are not in great shape.  The cheapest new headsail that I could find
was $1200.00, which is over budget for me.  My next question is on the size
of the sail.  I do a lot of single handling and coastal cruising in New
England with the occasional offshore overnight.  When I talk to the people
at these used sail places--such as Bacon Sails--I do not know what the
proper size of the sail should be for my application.  What I would like is
one big sail that I could leave on all season even if I sacrifice a little
performance in heaver winds.  So what size headsail would you recommend?  Or
what is the luff leech ect. dimensions that you are happy with?  I think
that the largest sail possible would be nice for light wind that I then
could furl if needed.

Thank you very much,

Matt Hay #314 "Renard"