[Public-list] Sobering lesson on inland boating, shaft seals, and hand-held VHF radios

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 23 06:59:51 PST 2006

This same exact thing happened to me a few years ago (except for the
drowning part) - a buddy of mine was thinking about buying a 33' Trojan
'boat show special'. The broker took us out for a test drive in the Chester
River. Once we were in the middle of the river, I heard what sounded like
rushing water and lifted the floor board on the after deck. A fountain of
water shot up about 6-8' in the air. The water was coming from the stuffing
box on the port engine. I lifted the other side and the same thing was
happening from the starboard engine. We immediately looked for VHF radios
(none on board) Bildge pumps and switches (none on board) life jackets (none
on board) Charts (none on board) ... so we were gojng to sink in the middle
of the river with no way to signal for help. We slowed the engines down to
an idle, the flow slowed considerably, and we we able to limp back to the
dock. By the time we got back the port engine was flooded with water and was
out, the boat had a 15 degree heel and the water was inches fro the
carbureator/distributor on the starboard engine. They saw us comming and
readied the travel lift with plucked us out of the water immediately upon
arrival. My favorite part was the comment by the salesman when we stepped
ashore..."shall  we go to the office and write up the bill of sale?" I won't
write my buddy's response, there may be children listening.

Mike Lehman