[Public-list] headsail size

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Sat Feb 18 15:49:08 PST 2006

<snip>

I do a lot of single handling and coastal cruising in New
> England with the occasional offshore overnight. When I talk to the people
> at these used sail places--such as Bacon Sails--I do not know what the
> proper size of the sail should be for my application. What I would like
> is
> one big sail that I could leave on all season even if I sacrifice a little
> performance in heaver winds. So what size headsail would you recommend?
> Or
> what is the luff leech ect. dimensions that you are happy with? I think
> that the largest sail possible would be nice for light wind that I then
> could furl if needed.

An interesting dilemma- as Mike L. says max headsail size
is dictated in the bylaws, so if light air efficiency is
what you want, there you go.

BUT, if you are single handing in New England, offshore,
at night, then you don't want a 163% headsail permanently
mounted-at least, I wouldn't. On top of every thing else,
it's light construction (which it needs to set properly in
light air) will cause it to blow out or distort
prematurely in the conditions you anticipate.

I like Brian's idea-in fact, I just had a 135% full luff,
raised clew #2 made for Checkmate that I intend to be my
primary cruising sail. I've only used it once, but so far,
it works according to plan. It's hank on. The masochist in
me prefers to play with headsails as conditions warrant.

When I ran offshore I would take down the #1 and put up
the #2 at sundown just for prudence.

MichaelGrosh