[Public-list] Cockpit coamings revisited.

Jonathan Whittingham whittle at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 5 20:05:16 PST 2006

Dear Listers,
                 1. George: you are absolutely correct about the bolts
holding the coamings, being readily accessible. When I removed the
Portside coaming , the bolts came easily loose with a screwdriver from
the outside. When I went to look for the nuts and perhaps washers in the
locker, they were nowhere to be found. Amazingly, the coaming boards HAD
no nuts or washers!! on the bolts. It seems that the winch "block" was
holding everything in place. Trying not to think about it too much.
                 2. Having acquired a digital camera for Xmas, I have
now taken installation shots of the Sole 26HP Diesel. I don't have a
website, but if someone can advise me how to and where to post them, I
will. The procedure for removing and installing new engines has been
well documented, so I won't try to re-describe the wheel, suffice to say
that for every hour spent actually doing the job, I wasted 10 hours
fretting about it.
                 3.I am interested in re-opening a discussion about
adding a Staysail (or not) to an Alberg30. What is the current
opinion(s) on doing this? Has anyone tested the theory in paractice?
Thanks. to all previous inputs regarding coamings etc. Regards Jonathan
Whittingham. EMMY