[Public-list] Prop brakes

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 16:02:31 PST 2006

Heya,

How do you guys with three blade props keep them from turning while you're
sailing? Is it safe to put the engine into gear, in terms of damaging the
transmission? I found with the Volvo MD11C that we have, the engine turns if we
leave the engine in forward, but not in reverse.

I submitted for a prop analysis for two blade with Michigan Wheel, and they
came up with a 13 x 16 as necessary for me. The volvo has a 1.87 reduction  in
forward, 16 hp at 2200 RPM. Does that prop sound consistent with what any of
you two bladers out there with a diesel of similar hp have?

Thx,
Lee
Stargazer #255