[Public-list] A new mainsail/full battens

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Fri Jan 13 09:51:52 PST 2006

Greetings,
    A few months ago I purchased a new North mainsail.  I was advised to the
benefits of battens with special sliders (less flogging, easier raising and
lowering without sticking).
    I decided on just one full batten at the top which has worked out well.
The new sail is a beautiful fit (after being returned once for cutting the
tack set-back which should have been done first time around).
    At first there was some sticking of sliders, but for the most part
that's changed.  Occasionally I have to go fwd to pull the last bit down,
but I don't mind-- the new sliders seem to have worn themselves into proper
action.
    I sail solo with halyard led aft, which I much appreciate-- it feels
safer doing that horsing around in the cockpit as much as possible.

Regards to All,

Randy Katz
#249  Seattle/Bellingham