[Public-list] Dutchman Mainsails

Janet Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Tue Jan 10 17:04:06 PST 2006

Jonathon... A Dutchman  is a patent  system of two monofilament lines
threaded vertically thru a couple of grommets in the main from the topping
lift to the boom which allows the sail to fall neatly folded onto the boom
like a venetian blind when you release the halyard.  See:

    http://www.mvbinfo.com/dp_02_SF.html

A singlehander can hoist or drop the main on any point of sail without a
cockpit full of dacron and no jungle of chafing lines like lazyjacks. It
was installed on Isobar's fairly new main when I bought her, and  I was a
little suspicious of the rig at first, but it has behaved beautifully since
'92 and some unknown number of years before that. With full battens, it
eliminates flogging and points well, too. (I just use regular sail slides
with the full battens and not the specialized mast cars that are usually
recommended, and have had no problem.) The disadvantage is you need a
multi-zippered sail cover, and perhaps there is a problem if you rig a
storm trysail.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181