[Public-list] Full Battens

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Jan 11 07:33:52 PST 2006

Sorry Bob,
I missed your email or would have replied earlier.

Without some kind of car that captures the compression forces at the inner
end of the full batten the batten will press against the mast when loaded up
and under sail. The Schaefer slides are on a pivot pin on a 7/8ths slide
with aluminium plated which sandwich the batten end and secure the batten
from coming out with a Beckson screw. The battens stay in vertical alignment
with the track and the housing is quite robust. The main keeps a beautiful
shape.

That said, off the wind, in a good wind, I cannot lower the sail any easier
as the rest of the battens length go all over the place and  I am afraid of
breaking the battens as they try to wrap around the shrouds. So I head into
the wind to lower. Have others found a way to lower or reef off the wind
that does not cause the main to blow all over the place once the leach
tension is released during lowering?

If so, what's your technique?

The problem seems to be the full battens themselves - the slides deal with
compression and the combo gives great and long lasting shape - just, there
are times and sea states where I'd rather not round up. But I haven't
figured out how to reef or lower with the air behind me that doesn't put the
battens at risk - have any of you?

Thanks.

Cheers,

John