[Public-list] Full Battens

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Thu Jan 12 08:41:40 PST 2006

The problem I found on our A-30 with leading the halyards aft was that it
adds so much more friction, even though we used turning blocks and not
fairleads, that when we got our A-37 we left the halyards on the mast and I
can haul the much larger full battened sail up by hand without much effort
until the last 1-6" where I winch it to get the right tension. When I used
to go forward to try to haul our A-30 main up at the mast, instead of using
the aft lead halyards - up she'd go to the top no problem.

I think the problem is with aft lead halyards. I don't miss them as I find
one always ends up at the mast anyway.

My experience anyhow.

Cheers,
John.