[Public-list] Full Battens

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Thu Jan 12 08:57:46 PST 2006

my choice also. Great winch.

>>> jay at saildriver.com 01/12/06 11:48 AM >>>
Dave,

  I failed to mention that I did the same thing. Previously I did not
have a cabin top winch, although there was a molded-in winch base on top
of the cabin. When I brought the main halyard back to the cockpit
(pre-Strong system), I put a nice little Andersen 28ST winch on the
cabin. I love it.

  Jay

Dave Terrell <DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu> wrote:
  I have the strong system led aft to the cockpit and share your
experience. The one thing I did was to upgrade the winch on the cabin
top because I found it somewhat difficult to crank the sail up the
last
foot or so. That may say more about my physical conditioning and maybe
age that it does about anything else, but I thought it might be useful
to share this observation.

>>> jay at saildriver.com 01/11/06 8:24 AM >>>
Bob,

My experience with my new full batten mainsail on the original sail
track was poor. The main halyard is led aft through turning blocks to
the cockpit, which adds resistance to the system. The full battens put
great deal of forward pressure on the slides in front of them. When
dropping the mainsail, the combination of forward pressure, and the
turning of the slides as the sail folds ("accordians"), results in the
main jamming on the track. This means I have to go forward and pull it
down, which is not acceptable. After installing the Strong system, the
problem disappeared. The sail drops like a rock when the halyard is
released from the cockpit.

You are fortunate that you don't have the problem. Does your halyard
secure to the mast, or is it led aft?

regards, Jay

Janet Kirk wrote:
At 08:47 AM 1/8/06 -0800, Jay Davenport wrote:
>[...] The full battened sail was a good move, with no downsides as
long as
>you have articulated batten pockets on the sail.
>
> The Strong mainsail slide and articulated batten pocket system is
> outstanding. The sail raises easier from the cockpit, and it drops
like
> an elevator when the halyard is released. I find that very important
when
> single-handing.

Jay... As I commented to John Birch, I'm not sure why special batten
pockets & slides are unique to full batten rigs. Why do full battens
require special slides? Mine seems to do ok without them.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181