[Public-list] Lazyjacks

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Jan 20 06:04:23 PST 2006

Hi Roger -

In slab (or 'jiffy') reefing you can only have one line, but if you do that
line has to be the clew line, not the tack.  Most boats today use a tack
hook on the gooseneck to replace the tack line.  Some people use a single
continuous line for both the tack and clew but in practice it is very tough
to get a tight foot on the sail...if the reefed foot is not tight, the
object of reefing is largely lost; depowering the sail.

I have a prejudice against lazy jacks  - probably irrational like my other
gear prejudices!

If you like I can scan some sketches and send them over to you.

Gord #426