[Public-list] Full Battens

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Wed Jan 11 05:24:23 PST 2006

Bob,

  My experience with my new full batten mainsail on the original sail track was poor. The main halyard is led aft through turning blocks to the cockpit, which adds resistance to the system. The full battens put a great deal of forward pressure on the slides in front of them. When dropping the mainsail, the combination of forward pressure, and the turning of the slides as the sail folds ("accordians"), results in the main jamming on the track. This means I have to go forward and pull it down, which is not acceptable. After installing the Strong system, the problem disappeared. The sail drops like a rock when the halyard is released from the cockpit.

  You are fortunate that you don't have the problem. Does your halyard secure to the mast, or is it led aft?

  regards, Jay

Janet Kirk <isobar at bcpl.net> wrote:
  At 08:47 AM 1/8/06 -0800, Jay Davenport wrote:
>[...] The full battened sail was a good move, with no downsides as long as
>you have articulated batten pockets on the sail.
>
> The Strong mainsail slide and articulated batten pocket system is
> outstanding. The sail raises easier from the cockpit, and it drops like
> an elevator when the halyard is released. I find that very important when
> single-handing.

Jay... As I commented to John Birch, I'm not sure why special batten
pockets & slides are unique to full batten rigs. Why do full battens
require special slides? Mine seems to do ok without them.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181