[Public-list] Mainsheet Traveler

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Mon Jul 10 08:33:03 PDT 2006

I replaced my traveler about five years ago with a midrange Harken system
that really makes sailhandling easy.  I am not sure if the traveller track
mount is different on the earlier Albergs but mine is the later design.
There are a number of potential combinations including the very expensive
windward sheeting systems.  For my purposes,  a midrange three part system
seems about right.  I occasionally race but mostly cruise.  I do however
like  to tweak the sails and this setup is a vast improvement over the
previous system.  Harken isn't cheap but they do great job reducing
friction.

My setup is a fairly standard three-part system.  It consists of two
double sheaves with cams attached to each end of the traveller track.
Attached to each side of the car is a single control block with a becket.
The car is controlled from each end of the traveller through the cams.  I
used the traveller track that allows the fasteners to slide around to fit
the existing track holes.  There is a slight bend in the track which was
easily fit as the bolts were sequentially tightened.  The mainsheet is a
four-part Harken system that uses a two block fiddle at the boom end and a
two block fiddle with a becket and cam attached to the car. The mainsheet
is spliced to the becket.

Incidentally I fit both mainsheet blocks with what I recall are Schaefer
snapshackles that attache perfectly to the Harken block posts.  This
allows me to quickly unsnap the blocks from the boom and car and store
them in the sheet bag that snaps to the aft cockpit bulkhead.  The bag is
stowed in the cockpit locker when not in use which has kept the blocks and
mainsheet out of the weather and in perfect condition after five plus
years.

I have found that the 4 to 1 purchase on the mainsheet to be more than
adequate in all wind conditions.  The traveler controls at 3 to 1 require
only a modest effort and then only when working the traveller in heavier
wind when close hauled.  If you really enjoy sailhandling,  this is a
great upgrade.

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433
Mobjack Bay, VA.