[Public-list] Traveler to Winch

Cole, Andrew L andrew.cole at llff.com
Mon Jul 10 09:03:19 PDT 2006

Roger,

I think leading to the winch may introduce more problems to the system
than it solves.  Your proposed system would put a lot of unfair strain
on the coaming (if the block were mounted in the coaming).  Unless you
upgraded the aft winches to self tailers, you would have to tie off the
traveler line to a cleat every time you adjusted it.  Also, any time you
were sailing with the traveller above center, when you tacked, you would
have to send someone down to untie the leeward traveller.

I find that a 4:1 is more than adequate for me to adjust the traveler
while steering, under max load.  You could always upgrade that to a 6:1
if you felt it necessary.  The loading is not terribly high, you could
probably find some fairly inexpensive dinghy blocks to create the
necessary purchase.

Andrew

Has anyone tried running a single line traveler sheet through the
combing to
a turning block then to the aft, windward winch?  Might be a poor man's
way
to get under load traveler adjustment but perhaps cumbersome without
self
tailing winches or just plain cumbersome, period.

Roger

Cole, Andrew L
Admitted in Maryland, Virginia & Florida
One Corporate Center
10451 Mill Run Circle, Suite 1000
Baltimore MD 21117

tel: 410 581-7408
fax: (410) 581-7410
mob: (410) 206-3577

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for public-list at alberg30.org. If you are not public-list at alberg30.org you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify andrew.cole at llff.com immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Cole, Andrew L therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.