[Public-list] WTB: a good old boat

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Jul 5 17:03:35 PDT 2006

Arthur D. Saftlas wrote:
> i am interested in purchasing an alberg 30 in very good condition,
> preferably with cruising gear.
> a boat in california or mexico would be best.
> i saw one here in the san franciso bay area. the foredeck felt a bit
> soft, bouncy. is this a problem area with these boats? are decks
> cored or solid glass.

Art, the decks of the newer boats are balsa-cored and, if water is
allowed to infiltrate, can rot and become spongy.  This can be fixed,
but it's a LOT of work.  Best thing to do is to tap on the deck and
check with parts sound solid and which sound dull and hollow.  This will
give you an idea of where there may be problems.

The older boats used a masonite core.  I've never heard of any serious
problems with those cores.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.