[Public-list] Atomic 4 compression

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Jul 5 17:09:17 PDT 2006

Brian Palmer wrote:
> I'm experiencing problems with my A4 where it seems to be lacking power.  It
> runs just fine out of gear, but in gear, I cant get it above about 1200 RPMs
> on a good day.  On a bad day, it stalls out, and will only continue to run
> when I choke the engine quite a bit.

As J says, the A4 will run with the spark plugs mis-wired.  Try pulling
one wire at a time while the engine is running (with insulated pliers,
of course) and see if any of them don't cause a change.

> I had someone suggest that I might have a leak in the seal around my carb,
> which would explain the need to choke it to pull in extra fuel to mix with
> the extra air leaking in.  Does anyone have a suggestion I can try?

You could try temporarily sealing around the carb mount with a wet rag
and see if that causes any change in the running.

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash