[Public-list] tiller

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 11 07:15:04 PDT 2006

    Not quite all!
    One thing not mentioned in the above quoted article is the development of
"hard spots"on the gluing system used within this article. Any time one bends
wood to a shape and then glues to an intermittant form using clamps, there are
places (at the clamps) where the glue (in this case epoxy) is thinner than the
places between the clamps. The result is uneven tensions within the bonding
surfaces. It would have been better if there had been a continuous press for the
process. Making such a form is not easy, because the outside and inside curves
are not the same.
    Further, one should never make a laminated piece without alternating the
laminates. By that I mean that if the strips are cut from one piece of wood,
every other piece should be turned end for end to avoid laminating a natural
weak spot into the laminate construction. One may also turn things edge for edge
as well. By varying the layup, any naturally weak  area (from normal plant
growth) within the original material will be more evenly dispersed and the
bonding material will have a better chance of increasing the overall strength of
the laminated piece. The use of 2 different woods, or 2 different boards for
source materials within the laminate will overcome some of these problems, but
even then,  the strips should be turned to avoid incorporating a weak growth
pattern.