[Public-list] Fwd: Engine running Problem

Peter Manika pmanika at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 12 04:53:06 PDT 2006

Have you check the coil? It could be cutting out after it heats up.
  Pete #156

brooks.glenn at comcast.net wrote:
  Hi Ralph,

Same thing happened to me on my fishing boat in Alaska years ago. Same symptoms as you describe, including tearing every part of the fuel system apart until the fuel tank was the last thing left to replace...

Check the pickup tube inside your fuel tank. Probably right near the top of the tank. It may be corroded and broken off. Or broken from vibration and metal fatigue... Hence you can only run the boat with a partially full tank, leaving enough fuel to syphon up into the remaining part of the tube. After driving around for a while under power the fuel level drops below the now short/broken end of the tube, hence your engine dies, after a few sputters, of fuel starvation. It likely will start again when the boat stops and adjusts to a level keel. Once underway the stern drags down a bit and the engine eventually breaks siphon in the tank when the fuel level drops to low, or heels the wrong way...

Since the mid 60's, pick up tubes are usually always installed from the top of the tank down to just above the bottom of the tank-- old CG safety thing to prevent gas from leaking out of the bottom of the tank into the bilge from defective fittings.. the tube is likely 1/4" copper or steel tube soldered into a some kind of removable lid on the top of the tank. Just leave the old piece in the tank and install a new one. It will be good for 25 years or so...

These pick up tubes are usually an easy fix, if you can reach your fuel tank. BTW, Is your tank under the cockpit deck?? If so, cut a nice little 21" opening into my cockpit floor centered 6" behind the forward cockpit bulkhead and deck it over with a removable flat hatch of 24" X 1/2" plywood. If you epoxy a 1/2" double layer bottom piece to hold the hatch in place, you'll have as much access you need to do everything you always wanted at the back end of the engine....

regards

gpb

S/V Dolce
of the Pacific
--
Glenn Brooks
Geographic Information Officer

A global humanitarian GIS network affiliated with the
Marc Lindenberg Center for Humanitarian Action
Daniel J. Evan's School of Public Affairs
University of Washington
Box 353055,
Seattle, WA 98195-3055

http://students.washington.edu/jmbrooks/nwrt
http://depts.washington.edu/mlcenter/

cell: 206-790-8711

"Putting Information Into Action for Relief and Development"

From: George Dinwiddie