[Public-list] Dismasting!

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 13 09:29:41 PDT 2006

        Ed,
  Not really, the three boats in discussion, Jazz, Garnet and Mermaid are all flesh water boats.
  Michael

edward schroeder <eddiediver at sbcglobal.net> wrote:   I guess that all of the correspondance re: dismasting is between skippers who have their boats in salt water. Am I right? Just to put it perspective. Ed. Schroeder #303 Emotional Rescue in Chicago.

sousa_stephen at emc.com wrote: Mike,

My rigger recommended in 1997 when the rigging was replaced on #114 to
remove and discard the turnbuckles. The newer product provides a shackle
provide some gives when under pressure. His recommendation was to remove
the turnbuckles since they had too much play in the threads from wear.
Also I know there are differences of opinion, my rigger suggest that the
average life of rigging is 10-15 years or as he states you can wait
until the mast falls, then upgrade many items.

Stephen