[Public-list] Dismasting! Alberg 30 yawl at Brand's

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Jul 15 08:46:35 PDT 2006

Hi Guys -

I am just back from being away 10 weeks - am sort of jumping in the
discussion so sorry if what I am about to contribute has already been
covered.

There must be no shackles anywhere in your standing rigging - if you have
them, get rid of them!  A rig failure involving a shackle often means no
insurance coverage.  There should be a toggle under each turnbuckle to allow
articulation, but never a shackle, as so many older boats that have been in
the hands of inexperienced or negligent owners end up being fitted with.

Anyway - I got home on Thursday...chucked Surprise in the water
Friday...late start to the season but I am here at last.

Anybody on the list from Victoria (moored above bascule bridge near where
Pacific Grace and Pacific Swift are based)?  I saw your A30 but never got
leave at a time when I could drop by and visit.

Cheers - Gord Surprise #426