[Public-list] Props and prop shafts

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 06:14:20 PDT 2006

Funny I had exactly the opposite experience. My dealer talked me OUT of the
20 hp model in favor of the 16 hp because he said that with a 2 blade prop
there was no way I would be able to put 20 hp in the water and that most
people overpower their boats. Truth be told he said I could probably use the
13.5 hp model and be just fine. He said he had plenty of very happy
customers with that motor in boats similar to mine. Since I haven't been in
the situation of running against a 7 knot current and head sea yet, I don't
know whether I will have trouble with that, but 7 knots is more than hull
speed for our boats, so I'm not sure I understand how you managed to go
through the water at much more than that without a LOT more than 20 hp...

It doesn't matter how much power you have between your bilge boards. It only
matters how much you can put in the water. Spending extra $$$ on horsepower
that you can't put into the water is a waste. That's just my opinion.

I have a 13x8 2 blade prop and a 2 cylinder 16 hp beta. Vibration is not a
problem. It's quieter than my A4. It's a great, compact little motor.

I also don't see why you would change shaft diameter. that seems like a big
and needless pain in the butt to me. 7/8 shaft is plenty big, I think,
especially if you use stainless instead of bronze.