[Public-list] Dismasting! Bronze turnbuckles replacements

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 18 08:57:42 PDT 2006

Michael,
  I suppose that if we are in Love with the bronze turnbuckles that we could purchase replacements from Spartan, Bristol, or Buck Algonquin Bronze works, if ours were found to be damaged or not useable.

  Although Don Campbell pointed out an important consideration............that the SS replacement turnbuckles are more closely matched in strength than the weaker bronze turnbuckles to that of the shroud wire.

  That knowledge would be enough for me to consider replacing the bronze to eliminate a known 'weak link'.

  See also Gordon Laco's most recent post.  He should know as he is a rigger and an Alberg 30 sailor.

  Michael C #133

Michael Grosh <dickdurk at atlanticbb.net> wrote:
  > In checking some of the other bronze fittings that were savaged, we found
> many >of the turnbuckles loose at the threads.

I have been following this thread with interest, I have the original Wilcox
Crittendon open turnbuckles, which I like, still installed.

My question is, with all these rig failures and dismastings, have the
turnbuckles themselves been implicated? All I've seen so far are shackles,
bulkheads, and the occasional bridge.

Thanks
Michael Grosh