[Public-list] Fw: Electric Bilge Pump Installation

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Jul 28 21:21:16 PDT 2006

cathie & john coultis wrote:
> Thanks for responding to our email George.
> Can you give us some details such as how and where you mounted the bilge
> pump and where the check valves are located.

I've mounted a board running from just in front of the engine intake (in
the battery compartment) diagonally down under the engine.  The pump is
mounted on a bracket at the bottom.

The hose is reduced down to 1/2" so that there's less water to flow back
when it shuts off.  I don't have a check valve.  I ran the hose up to
the lazarette and teed off the through-hull for the manual bilge pump.

> the holding tank in our 1971 Alberg 30 is a part of the cabin sole
> liner.

I think that may be why Whitby designed the liner.  As far as I can
tell, only boats delivered to the Great Lakes have used the compartment
under the sole as a holding tank.  I don't much like the idea.
Polyester resin is much too porous for that.

You might want to poke around in
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/head/ and
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/head/under-sole/

  - George