[Public-list] A30 Yawl Plans

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 30 08:38:15 PDT 2006

John,
  I didn't realize that you had an A-37.  Those are really nice boats.  I think the best that Carl Alberg designed.  Where do you sail from?
  Michael

John Birch <Sunstone at cogeco.ca> wrote:
  Someone asked if as a yawl would an Alberg 30 be as close winded, the answer
is no, when beating a yawl's mizzen gets backwinded. If you look at pictures
of old CCA yawls racing, most times the mizzen is furled. It would lie to
anchor better though. My A-37, a sloop, out points A-37 yawls and is a bit
faster upwind. Reducing the boom to accommodate a mizzen is not going to
enhance performance overall. Although yawls are pretty, a split rig is
inherently less efficient - it would also take it out of it's class which
might impact its value.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,
John