[Public-list] Mainsheet tavellers

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 9 19:26:28 PDT 2006

Rob;
    As for the traveller staying in the middle most of the time,  that
depends on your sails and how they balance to the boat. We send the car to
the edges all the time whether cruising or racing. Cruising sails for us are
an old (1989)  main  and either a well used Triton  170 from the race set or
a well used Triton 135 that is on its last legs too- at least for my idea of
preformance. Race sails are a new this year Triton  165 and 2 year old
North mainsail.
    I have no experience in salt or brackish water, but the bearings in
Harken blocks seem fairly accessible for washing.
    I replaced my traveller on #528 when we re-did the deck 9 years ago now,
and have just put a new set of blocks on it because I needed a set for #469
as I had a possible sale for her, thus, the 9 year old ones went on her. My
whole boat is Harken and I like their equipment. Most of the cars have been
re-designed since I bought mine. The windward sheeting cars tend to bang a
bit in choppy waves  if the sail is not up, but work well under sail. The 4"
retrofit track will fit Alberg hole patterns exactly, but measure so that
you get the correct length for mating things at the ends. I am using a 6:1
system because of arthritic hands and elbows with tendonitis and everyone
who adjusts the main likes them. - Blocks are #s 2669 and 2664. This also
allows me to go to a 24:1 if I ever need that, and allows for a good, easy
to handle 1/2" sheet. The 76mm classic mid-range single sheaves are as good
as anything for genoa sheets, unless you want to spend the $ on Black
Magics. The mainsheet is extra long because of the extra lengths on the
blocks.
    Andersen winches though!!!
    From what I gather, you might also want ot look at Gaurhauer equipment
as well from the aspect of good equipment at reasonable prices. I thnk there
were comments on this list about their boomvangs that included phone numbers
and people to contact. 18 months ago is my recollection on that one.
Don #528