[Public-list] Props and prop shafts

Meinhold, Michael J MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Tue Jul 18 07:21:59 PDT 2006

Countering wind and waves, towing a dinghy or towing another boat are
all added resistance, requiring more horsepower at a given speed. Extra
horsepower can help here, but only within the limits of your propeller's
design. Hopefully it's been optimized for the RPM, forward speed and
resistance at your expected cruising speed. If you add a lot of required
thrust you may be driving it into very low efficiency, and as J says,
you will hit a limit of deliverable power. I've been in nasty Chesapeake
chop generated by 25 knot winds from the north and made only 2 knots
with my 30 hp A4.

Countering current is largely (not entirely) subtracting the current
from your attainable speed at a given RPM. Extra horsepower helps you
little with this. An A30 that can go 6.5 knots in slack current should
be able to make about .5 knots in a 6 knot adverse current.

Michael J. Meinhold / SAIC
2111 Eisenhower Ave, Suite 303, Alexandria, VA 22314
703 842 2606 / michael.j.meinhold at saic.com