[Public-list] Articulated tiller

Robert E Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Thu Jun 1 05:57:35 PDT 2006

Charles and Brian,

The following are my comments on my articulated tiller made
previously on this list. As you can see I am very much in favor of
the idea .

"When cruising we use an AutoHelm tiller type autopilot a lot. When
we first started to sail offshore Barbara was concerned that while
under autopilot one of us might slip and fall across the tiller which
would break it because the autopilot was holding it in a fixed
position. The wood I found to build a spare tiller was going to have
to be laminated in three layers because I couldn't find wood thick
enough to make it in one piece. I realized that with the three piece
lamination I could easily add an extra hinge (pivot) to the tiller.

The current setup that we have used happily for years is the
following: the autopilot controls the tiller by connecting to the
tiller with a bracket located about 15 inches from the rudder post
pivot point. A second pivot point ('hinge') on the tiller is located
just forward of the autopilot bracket. When under autopilot, the
forward part of the tiller is tilted to a vertical position so the
forward part of the cockpit is completely clear of the tiller. Only
the 18 inches or so forward of the rudder post is blocked by the stub
tiller and the autopilot.

Under autopilot the cockpit is clearer than it would be with a wheel.
At anchor the tiller is pivoted to a vertical position at the rudder
post and, as Mike pointed out, the cockpit is completely clear. All
of the advantages of the tiller are there when not using the
autopilot as you essentially then have a standard tiller. When
leaving the boat on the mooring I tie the tiller stub and the forward
part of the tiller is in the vertical position.

I can't imagine using any other arrangement on an A30 and am
surprised that I haven't seen it on other boats."

Bob Johns, Wind Call, #397