[Public-list] crooked rudder

Roger L Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Tue Jun 6 11:27:34 PDT 2006

I have an interesting situation on #148 and just recently discovered why.  When running straight, the tiller points 10 to 12° to port of center.  Everything else in the "steering train" seems OK except, for a few months after I hauled the boat, I noticed moisture seeping from the leading edge of the rudder about 8 inches from the top.  I don't recall any excessive play when I sailed the boat, even in high winds.

I contacted the previous owner who contacted his stepfather who gave him the boat.  Apparently the boat was carried onto a granite riprap wall by storm surge during a storm in New London, Connecticut.  She was left high and dry 12 feet above the water and lifted off with a crane.  The tiller has been crooked ever since.

I don't think having a crooked tiller is a big deal and expect, eventually, my left arm will grow longer than my right.  It might even be an interesting conversation starter; "hey, how come your boat keeps turning left when I steer straight."  I am interested in what actually "twisted" and if I need to do anything to ensure the rudder won't fail.  There is a keyway that holds the tiller bracket on to the top of the rudder shaft so the problem isn't that the bracket slipped on the shaft.  It seems the remaining options are that the rudder shaft twisted (unlikely?) or the bond between the rudder blade and the shaft failed.

I thought of doing some investigative demolition by grinding out the leading edge of the rudder down to the shaft.  But, I don't know how the rudder is bonded to the shaft or how to fix it if it isn't and don't to make things worse.

Another aspect of the rudder that is probably unrelated was noticed by Tonwie when I showed him a photograph.  The blade is larger than on other Albergs.  The trailing edge extends vertically downward rather than curving forward toward the base of the rudder making it about 20% larger than stock.  Assuming Whitby didn't make boats with different rudders (148 was built in 1966), it appears someone replaced or enlarged the original.  Perhaps #148 is the "sport model" with turn-on-a-dime performance.

Anyway, feedback from those with more experience than I (in other words, all of you) as to the potential cause of the problem and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger