[Public-list] personal property tax assessment

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed Mar 1 04:31:35 PST 2006

Middlesex County, Virginia, values my 1967 Alberg 30, s/n 275, at
$2,477. The tax is $86.70 / year (as of 2005). I have no real idea where
they got that number but for tax purposes it's O.K. with me. I paid
$10,000 for it in 1991, with a low-time Westerbeke diesel in it, but
possibly the original sails. I replaced the genoa last year but the
county didn't ask about that. My guess is they got the figure out of the
BUC book, but I don't really know. They valued my 1976 Galaxy runabout
with outboard @ $600, probably a little low, and my 1993 Ford pickup at
$1,312, which is twice what I got when I traded it in a year ago. They
value my 1985 Honda CRX @ $526, which is probably a little high. (I love
that little car. It has 123,000 miles on it and I hope to keep it for
the rest of my life.)  My 1999 Honda Accord is assessed @  $3,657, which
I think might be high.

- Gordon White, Brigadoon II