[Public-list] fresh water tank paint

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Sun Mar 12 14:16:30 PST 2006

I have succeeded in uncovering and cleaning the freshwater tank. I found
that the fiberglass has crazing on it. Not a lot but it must be dealt
with. I consulted Don Casey's book on repairing fiberglass and he
suggests gelcoat repair if there is a small amount of crazing. For
larger areas, he suggests priming the fiberglass and putting on 2 coats
of two part polyurethane paint. I think I have enough crazing that gel
coat repair will not be appropriate.

A friend of mine who has been around boats most of his life and taught
in the engine program at our college's Maritime Academy said that there
are paints designed precisely for this purpose. A Web site search has
not been productive so far.

So here are my questions:

1. Does any one know about these paints, where they can be found and how
much they cost?

2. Would something like Interlux's Perfection work well on this job?

3. does this seem like a good way to approach this repair? Does anyone
one see a problem here? I have reviewed the Maintenance Manual and have
not seen this problem arise when repairing the top of the water tank.

I am documenting the whole process  - so photos will follow of each
stage of the process. My friend also figured a nifty way to remove "the
furiniture" when it is really stuck tight to the underlying fiberglass.
A picture of this method will be included.

Thanks for all the help.

David, Talisman, 432