[Public-list] Wood cockpit seats

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Tue Mar 14 16:35:40 PST 2006

Greetings,
    I went through some frustration with leaking wood cockpit seats.  The
originals (?)  that came with the boat 5 years ago were solid boards, but
with some splits.  Rain water dribbled into the cockpit lazarettes.

    First, I rebuilt new seat lids with 3/4" marine ply.  How to attach the
screws along the piano hinge?  I rabbeted 1x2 softwood (it was at hand) and
it pretty much worked.  The caulking where those strips met the plywood
didn't work out in the long run--- leaking began again.

    Secondly-- finally-- I replace the seat lids with 1/2" plastic board--
What's it called:  Seaboard?  Marineboard?  Found it in a nice gray color.
No more leaking since the lid is one piece.

    I was wondering if it would deflect over time (as the literature about
it suggested may happen).  Mounted the stbd lid over the old wood seat-- no
problems.  The port lid I set in by itself with nothing underneath.  No
problems or deflection over the last 1+ years.

    The material is slightly slippery when wet, so some care is needed
there.  I'm happy with it, though, because it looks good and keeps H20 off
the outboard engine.

    Randy Katz
Seattle/Bellingham

on 3/14/06 4:04 PM, public-list-request at alberg30.org at