[Public-list] dingy vs.tide and current, cockpit locker tops

Matthew Hay haymatthew_ at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 16 10:52:27 PST 2006

Hello all,
This summer I will be doing all of my sailing in mid coast Maine maybe
making it to the Penobscot.  I will be sailing with my wife and my son who
will be about 8 months in May.  I currently have a walker bay 8 without the
pontoons that I use for my dingy, and will not let our baby near it in the
cold waters off Main, since it is so very tippy.  I have been using a 2 year
old 3.5 Tahotsu that pushes the walker bay fine.  (but seems to shear its
pin often with weight in the boat, I actually have to cary a pack of pins in
the dingy.)  To be safe I am looking at inflatables.  Would this engine
suffice with a eight or nine foot inflatable? Also would you recommend a
wood floor or an air floor?  I want to be safe and am not familiar with the
currents I will be encountering in Maine.  Also, in some areas I will have
to anchor a ways out due to the larger tides.

Trying to avoid living out "A drift"

I took the cockpit locker tops off my 1968 Alberg two years ago and they
were made from teak plywood and were hinged with screws right into the
fiberglass.  A big long hinge ran the entire length along the back of the
locker top and the fiberglass.  The teak ply was completely rotted and I
scraped both of them.  I am fortunate enough to have a good friend who is a
talented woodworker and he made thick strips of teak into tong and groove.
And mounted them in teak frames, put black caulk between the strips, and
glued a piece of black rubber along the underside of each top.  They look
great, but I still have to give them a little finesse' to make them fit
properly.

Thank you and best of luck,

Matt #314 Renard