[Public-list] FLS

John Boor mahseer at kos.net
Mon Mar 13 07:03:06 PST 2006

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone tried the Forward Looking Sonar (FLS)
> (http://www.sailgb.com/p/fls_bronze_echo_sounder/) by Echo Sounder?  It
> claims to give a 90 degree bottom contour from below the boat to
> horizontal (up to 100 meters).  Expensive at $800, but on the narrow
> Pittsburgh rivers extending each tack as close to shore helps allot.
>
> Roger
I have not looked at the FLS system but have investigated the side scan
fishfinder type of depth sounder by Humminbird.  I had thought of a FLS
but was concernd that I wold spend too much time looking at the display
instead of the surrounding waters.  With the side scan sounder the display
give a history of your track and if the contour is rising you are heading
for shallow water, if it is falling you are heading to deep water.  With
the side scan their is a contour port or starbord and the closer to the
centre this contour line is the shallower the water on that side of the
boat.  In 2 years I plan to return to Florida for the winter and will have
one of these side scan display on board to navigate some of the narrow
channels of the ICW.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380