[Public-list] Cockpit floor

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Mar 13 16:03:28 PST 2006

Gordon Laco wrote:
> In my case I am
> going to cut around the whole cockpit floor with a rotary cutting tool whose
> depth I can regulate (some-one tell me what the thing is called please)

A skil-saw.  At least, that's what I used.  Use an old one; glass is
hell on the bearings.  Today I'd probably just use the 4" grinder.

> I have a fond
> hope that I can remove the top layer intact and glue it back down.  If not I
> will be painting the new top surface.

I used foam coring, and laid up new glass on top.  Then I painted and
put non-skid in the paint.

> Funny thing is the only part of the job I don't have full confidence in is
> getting the rudder head casting off.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  I
> don't imagine it will come off easily even after I back off the bolt.

Mine came off fairly easy, with a little bit of upward hammering with a
wood block.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.