[Public-list] Anchor and Rode

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 15 10:14:41 PST 2006

Hey Pete,

For many years now I have used a Fortress FX-16 with mud palms and 10' of
chain and 150' of 5/8" rode. We have held many large rafts and have stayed
put in some pretty strong blows with this combination. I prefer the Fortress
over the traditional Danforth style anchors because the precise design helps
them to dig deeper into mud and sand, also they don't need to weigh as much.
Mud and sand are the types of bottoms you will find most prevalent in the
Chesapeake. If I were somewhere else, I would use something different. I
would not use less than 1/2" rode unless it were for a lunch hook.

Mike Lehman