[Public-list] Anchor and Rode

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Mar 15 15:11:51 PST 2006

Wow - has chain ever gone up - in the mid 90's I paid $ 2.89 CDN a foot for
HT 5/16 (Group 40)- I would imagine you need to buy from a source near you
as I imagine shipping costs would be prohibitive. I bought mine from
Mason's, The Store in Port Credit, Ontario and did wangle a bit of a deal.

To get the cantanary I would suggest you stick with 5/16. I would suggest
BBB group 30 or 40. You need to factor in high strength with brittleness,
there is a trade off, and remember the loading necessary to break group 40
will likely carry something off your bow first. Any groups above 40 I would
question the need for - also, marine grade - you want the best hot dip galv
you can get. When buying chain, take your windlass gypsy with you to make
sure it matches the chain - very important, else the chain will jump off or
jam risking injury.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
John