[Public-list] Anchor and Rode

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Wed Mar 15 17:30:08 PST 2006

Last year I bought 25' of HT stainless 5/16" anchor chain from a fishing supply house on the Gulf coast of Louisiana. It cost me about $125.00, plus shipping, and I have been very happy with it. They have a web site which I reached through eBay(rjcsupply.com). It carries assorted items, including stainless chain which they apparently get from large spools handled for commercial fishermen. What is in stock varies from week to week depending on what they have cut that week. As of tonight, there is no 5/16" chain listed. They are listing 1/4" stainless chain, 25' long, for $94.60. If you monitor the site, you will probably see 5/16" show up. Good luck.

  Jay Davenport
  Revolution, A30 #526

JOHN GRAVES <jg1111 at msn.com> wrote:
  I am looking to buy anchor chain myself. I checked in the West Marine catalog and it seems to be very expensive. I have cruised up and down the Georgia and Florida east coast and throughout the Bahamas with a Bruce Anchor with 200' of nylon anchor line and 5 or 6 feet of galvanized chain. I would have to check the diameters, etc. because I can't remember right off hand. I also have a danforth lunch hook and various other danforths I have found on the bottom. I can't remember ever significantly dragging anchor and I've had the boat for about 22 years. The most sustained wind I can remember being anchored in that I actually clocked was 50 + knots in the lee of Eluthera at current cut anchored in a sand bottom and she didn't budge. I think I had the Bruce and the big danforth out.I was thinking about buying about 50' of chain. 5/16 is listed @ 4.59/ft for Grade 40 Hot dip galvanized high test chain, 5.99/ft for Grade 70, and 15.99/foot for stainless steel proof coil chain. For 5
0' it would be $229.50, $299.50, and $799.50, respectively. I want something of sufficient size and strength with maybe a little over kill. And I definetly want something that I will not have to worry about rusting, preferably in my lifetime. I initially wanted to go with stainless steel but it's pretty steep in price and also has a much lower breaking strength for the size. My questions to the group are: What size chain would be sufficient (with a little over kill)? What experience has been had with the different grades as far as rusting in a marine environment? and Does anyone have a better source for chain as far as price goes?
Thanks,
John (Trelawney #15)