[Public-list] Dinghy - Tow or Stow?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Mar 18 19:54:36 PST 2006

Jack Vanderloo wrote:
> The scene: mid-May, upper Chesapeake - say Annapolis.
> The goal: make NYC in a timely manner.
> The dinghy: 9'6" RIB, ~145# w/o outboard.
> The dilemma: never been there, never done it.
> The question: see subject.

Towing is generally fine on the Chesapeake, particularly the upper
Chesapeake.  Take the motor off for towing, though.  And I like a fairly
long painter for times when the waves are up, keeping it well back of
the boat but in sync with the waves at the stern.  If it's blowing hard,
you might find it better to stow an inflatable lest it become airborne.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash