[Public-list] Dinghy - Tow or Stow?

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 19 10:35:27 PST 2006

Just to add a few comments.  On an A30 there aren't many good choices for a rigid dink, or RIB.  Towing is really the option.  All the previous comments are right on. I would add, sling a block from the stern rail for the painter to run through.  This will almost eliminate the chafe problem and I do use poly for towing.  With a rigid dink I also add a large plastic funnel to the painter about five feet from the bow of the dink.  Hold it in place with figure eight knots so it can't slide.  Have it turned so there is no resistance when towing, but if you stop quickly it will turn and serve as a brake.  This causes the dink to slew to one side and avoids your transom getting a goose.  Also on a rigid dink I would add another towing eye down low.  In my not very humble opinion the towing eyes on all dinks are too high and add to the difficulty of towing, also I beef up the hull when adding the lower eye.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill