[Public-list] Ice Box Insulation

John Boor mahseer at kos.net
Mon Mar 27 06:42:25 PST 2006

> Hi John,
>
> How did you know that your box was saturated with water?  Also, how did
> you
> take the outer wooden box apart to get at the drop-in unit?  Did you add
> insulation to the space between the drop-in and the outer wooden box?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd
> Strathgowan #400

> Todd

I started out not knowing it was that wet.  I found that the ice box was
too big for our needs because the compressor ran so long.  After removing
the teak trim and removing the top  (the screws were rusted out) the
dropped in icebox was to big to be lifted out so I had to cut it into 3
pieces with a jig saw and removed it, this when I found out how wet it
was.  At this point I had a huge hole int the boat I did not know what to
with it.  After some thought I decided to make my own box out of high
density insulation and make it smaller.  I used 1 in blue styrofoam and
overlapped the corner to a thickness of 4 in all arround.  Before this I
installed a bulk head between the engine wall and the new ice box to allow
soft drink cans to be stored here.  I did this to isolate engine
compartment heat from the box.  I added extra insulation in the bottom to
eliminate the hull curvature but still have 4in of insulation.  This left
a gap at the outboard side of the box where a second bulkhead was
installed.  This left a storage ares wide enough for bottles to be stored
there.  I cut a new top with only one access lid instead of two.  I have
found that the storage space allows all normal food storage and still have
room for a block of ice.  As I said my compressor run about 20 min on and
30 min off and in our northern climate and a block of ice I can turn off
the compressor at night and have the temperasture rise inside by no more
that 2 deg F.  In the morning for the first compressor cycle it runs about
30 mins to bring down the temp.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380