[Public-list] Boarding ladders

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Mar 29 04:43:01 PST 2006

Interesting points -

Personally I would never try to pick up a MOB with a ladder in rough seas.
As Dan says, the plunging action of the boat would transform any firmly
mounted device into a weapon.  Similarly, a temporarily mounted ladder is
both highly unlikely to remain in place and also nearly impossible to mount
if the boat is moving.

Our rescue drill counts the stern mounted ladder as a card to play only in
flat water.  In a seaway our plan is to heave to to weather of the rescuee
and make the pick up amidships or toward the cockpit. Either way we have a
Life Sling ready to bring the person alongside.   I have had to do this once
(without Life Sling, but was successful so it has become one of my favourite
funny stories; I call it the Mermaid Story; you have to come aboard Surprise
to hear it).

We have our mainsheet landed on the traveller with a large snap shackle so
that at a moments notice the boom and sheet can be transformed into a
lifting derrick.   We practice as a family once a year (only once because I
think we are good at it)

Really hope never to use it but wouldn't it be horrible to have somebody in
the oggin and be trying things out for the first time?

Gord #426 Surprise