[Public-list] boarding ladders

Roger L Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Fri Mar 31 12:40:25 PST 2006

Dave writes, "...if you singlehand and do not take precautions againt going
overboard, you are not being smart."

Dave,

My "other boat" is a 1962 O'Day, Rhodes 19 (centerboard version), sort of
the big sister to your O'Day, Daysailer.  I sailed "Tonic" on the Allegheny
River in Pittsburgh (you know, home of the World Champion, Steelers who have
won five Super Bowls) for five seasons.  There is little non-thunderstorm
wind in July and August but the Fall is delightful; a different world a mile
from the house.  Although the marina officially closes at the end of
October, the owner would let me stay in even after the docks were "folded"
in toward shore.  I would tie up downstream of the few bigger cursers that
wintered in the water.  I was usually able to sail on Thanksgiving day but
had to wait two weeks for the launch ramp to thaw the year I sailed on
Christmas day (and then only after I broadcast 50 pounds of snow melt on the
ice).

Then, one cold but sunny day while sailing in blissful ignorance, I came to
this stark realization.  "Hey dufis (that's what I call myself during stark
realizations), even though this river is only 200 yards wide, the water is
so cold you wouldn't last seven minutes if you fell in.  And that cell phone
and handheld radio; who are you going to call if you have trouble?  Unless
they have a helicopter or can walk on water, there is no way they can get to
you.  Those boats tied to the dock, their motors have been winterized and
won't start.  Of course there is the Volunteer Fire Department.  Remember
someone gave them a 20 year old runabout last year.  It only took them an
hour to get the outboard started that one time, in August, that they tried.
Not to worry though, the current isn't too strong and, after all, you are at
least 300 yards UPSTREAM of the Highland Park Damn."

Note to self (A.K.A. Dufis),  "Self, if you must sail on the river in cold
weather;  pick days with reliable and moderate wind, put the sails up at the
dock, sail to and from the dock without using the motor, don't go on deck,
don't even stand up in the cockpit, let someone know when you will be home
(so they can call the morgue if you are late), make sure the life insurance
is paid up and don't discuss stark realizations with the wife."

Man, am I glad I/we got that straightened out before I sign up to go crab
fishing in Alaska next Winter.  Have you seen that Discovery Channel
documentary, those guys are nuts!

All the best,

Roger