[Public-list] boarding ladders

Kristofer Coward kris at melon.org
Fri Mar 31 14:38:01 PST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 11:27:36AM -0500, Gordon White wrote:
> Somehow the idea of going swimming out of reach of land doesn't appeal
> to me. We only go overboard while at anchor, with the ladder down. I
> suppose there could be a case where one went over the side accidentally
> and it'd be nice to have a way of stopping the boat or making the
> autopilot circle...

Well with an autopilot that just drops into/onto a tiller, you could
always set the sails with a lttle weather helm, and run a line fromthe
autopilot arm over a lifeline and then back somehow. Yank the line and
the autopilot would lift off the tiller, the weather helm would steer
the boat into irons, and you're good to climb back on (assuming all
those nice things like your still being conscious and the like).

Cheers,
Kris
#583 Candy Cane

--