[Public-list] Boarding Ladders

Meinhold, Michael J MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Wed Mar 29 04:30:36 PST 2006

Dave -
 I copied Mike Lehman's swim ladder - it's the stainless 5-step that
West Marine sells. It's modified with a U of PVC to make a standoff. The
bottom of the U is wrapped with thick nylon line so it doesn't mar the
transom. The ladder attaches to a pair of clips bolted to the deck. Very
secure and works well.

It's primarily a swim ladder, and would serve as a boarding latter only
in calm (maybe less than 1 foot waves) water. I've used it at anchor in
1 1/2  to 2 foot waves and it is a challenge to get aboard! We have the
life-sling and a lifting tackle as the fallback recovery setup , though
we need some practice in using it.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272