[Public-list] Pintal and Gudgeon

Matthew Morey mwmorey at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 14:36:31 PDT 2006

Hi.  My name's Matthew.  My sweetie's name's Dawn.  We're apt to be jotting
down several questions here in the next few days.

My boat's Chance, hull four hundred and something.  She's a beauty.  We have
one of the rare live-aboard slips in Sausalito and sail our home in and
around the bay frequently.

She was pulled out of the water Tues.  We got the rudder off yesterday
because of excessive play at the base.  The pin had about pencil diameter
and far more red than yellow.  The gudgeon had about a nickel’s diameter.
(Micrometer in pocket to run down and measure properly in a moment.)

My plan: have machine shop drill out a hole at the base of the pintal.  Make
corresponding pin to work up into hole.  Tap and die the two.  Use 5200 or
lock-tight red or some combination of the two to secure the new pin in the
pintal.  New pin will correspond roughly to the diameter of the hole in the
gudgeon.  For gudgeon perhaps get inset of Teflon (?) or bronze.

Concerns:
(1)	The pole that runs the fore-edge of the rudder, does it continue from
the base to the prop inset?
(2)	Is lock tight red water proof at all?
(3)	Was there something other than wear and electrolysis to justify the size
discrepancy of the pin with the space in the gudgeon (e.g.,  a bearing, an
insert, etc.)?
(4)	Is Teflon a good idea for an  inset for the gudgeon?
(5)	Is there a far easier way to deal with this than my rather involved
plan?
(6)	Is my plan foolish and ineffective?

Please let me know anything you can to help out.  And if the answer to five
is yes, please say so nicely…  Thx.

Matthew

INTO my heart on air that kills
  From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
  What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,         5
  I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
  And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman (1859–1936).  A Shropshire Lad.  1896.